Sunday, December 23, 2018

Christmas 2018 Blog Post #10

  "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

  At the beginning of each year, I pick a Bible verse which I to carry in my heart all year as a way to keep me centered on God and the life He would like me to live. The above verse was not the one I chose for 2018. Actually it was Proverbs 19:21, which reads, “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

Guess what? The Lord’s plans prevailed again this year. He never intended that to be my Bible verse this year. Sometime in the spring “Be still and know that I am God” began to spring into my head on a regular basis. I began repeating it to myself when I couldn’t sleep at night. I even bought a water bottle with those words etched in it.

This whole month I have been sharing various Bible verses which remind me of the first Christmas and Jesus, our Savior, as a tiny Baby. When I read “be still”, I picture that choir of angels, those shepherds and their flocks at night, the hub-hub that followed the birth of that Baby. And then I see Mary and Joseph, in that humble stable, quiet and peaceful. All is still. A peace has descended, not only in that little town of Bethlehem, but across the world
Christmas 1971, my sister and I on another Christmas morning. I am still with my new favorite toy (which I still have by the way). Pat doesn't appear so still; it looks like she could be clapping.

No comments: