Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Sept 25, Again - Finally to Camp

     Finally, by mid-afternoon, we arrived at our friend Izzo’s safari camp. We weren’t sure what to expect. The last time I was there, in May of 2018, the camp was only a series of foundations and somewhat random walls. When my kids were there this past January, there hadn’t been a lot of progress.

 This trip, however, we were greeted with a young Kenyan woman carrying a tray of glasses of fresh pineapple juice for everyone. As well as three nearly completed bungalows.
 The configuration is that each building will have three units in it – two larger rooms for families or groups and a smaller upper unit for couples.
 Of course each unit will have its own en suite bathroom, with as much hot water as needed, thanks to the 30,000 gallons of water these tanks hold (more on that on a future post).
 The upper story is the couple’s suite. They have amazing views into the Masa Mara.
 The remaining three bungalows waiting for funds to be finished.
 Our room.
 Plenty of space to spread out and fresh, clean linens. Comfy beds too.
 Our bathroom.
 The current dining room for guests.
 Eventually it will be turned into one of the family units, after the dining hall is finished.
 If you use your imagination you can see this as an amazing dining room, can’t you?
 The current outside dining space when weather permits. 
 Our breakfast one morning. Nothing fancy, but tasted great and filled us up.
 In case you wonder what other safari camps in the area have to offer, I thought I’d share pictures from a few of the others I’ve been to.

 This is Fig Tree Camp, where we stayed the first time, I was in Kenya in 2006. It was very nice, I thought, almost too nice. Like, it didn’t feel like I was in Africa, far from any cities or towns.
 Manyatta Camp where I stayed the last two times I was at the Mara. A little run down and rough around the edges.
 But now, here is really rough. An abandoned camp we walked passed one day. Seems like such a waste.
 Our last afternoon at the Mara, we toured another luxury camp, Explore Nature Masa Lodge. Way too nice.
 All I need is a clean bed and to wake up to this view in the morning.
 Next time, I’ll finally start sharing the stories of the many people we met while out there.

No comments: