Friday, February 7, 2020

Derailed Again


     After the less than stellar 2019, I was hoping this year would be better. January got off to a good start, other than all the snow that fell and the power going out (one more time!) on the 2nd. Luckily it was for only a few hours that time (for a change), but it still made me kinda think – yea, 2020 is not going to be better after all.

We got through the first month of the year though, with only a smattering of deaths among friends, family that was not immediate family and many of my patients from the clinic where I work. Even got through the first two days of February before I starting coming down with a cold.

Then this Wednesday, just after I got back from lunch, Hubby called to say he had fallen on some ice and thought he broke his elbow. I thought he was being dramatic. I sighed and hemmed and hawed a moment, then told him to come on down to the clinic, to check-in for an x-ray and then I’d work him in with his doctor (because being a family member of someone who works there can usually get you an appointment when you need and if that’s not far to the rest of you who do not have any connection, all I can say is I’m sorry, but that’s life).

After Hubby had his x-ray, one of my co-workers put him in a room. I saw the x-ray before the doctor did, and even to my relatively untrained eye, I could see a fracture in his ulna bone, with a 7 to 8 mm gap between the two jagged edges of the bone. Again, with my untrained eye, I was pretty sure that would never heal without surgical intervention.

So, once again, life has been a bit derailed. Hubby will be having surgery a few hours after I post this. It’s an outpatient procedure and we won’t know exactly what the surgeon is going to put in to pull that bone together until he sees what it looks like inside. We should be home, though, by early to mid-afternoon, so I’ll post an update on Facebook then.

Until then, hope you all have had a better week than we have.
He may be a goof-ball, but he's my goof-ball. 




No comments: