Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Guided Imagery - Natural Remedies, Part 3, Coming to the Clinic, Part 14


   
  Last Wednesday, I shared a quick overview of the many different types of meditation there are. I didn’t say much about guided meditation because I planned on telling you about a similar method this week.

I mentioned last week that I felt I just never got into what we think of as “mediation” – the one way you repeat “oohm” and go to a magical place in your mind and body. I’m sure it works for many people but not so much for me.

I tried a few mediation tapes (yes, that was before CDs and way before Youtube videos), but I found them a little annoying – like I can’t visualize that stuff. For example, on one the lady narrating was telling me to imagine I’m holding a large metal bowl and running a metal spoon around the edge of it and imagine the sound it makes. I listened to that tape a dozen times trying to figure out what I was missing. I never got it.

But somewhere along the line, I figured out how to use guided imagery and it started with these bald eagles in Alaska.
When I was a junior in college, over Christmas break, I went to Alaska with my aunt to visit my cousin who lived in Juneau. One day we took a ferry ride to Haines, which is known for its huge population of bald eagles. In the fall and early winter, they feast on spawning salmon in the Chilkat River. Yes, all those black spots in the sky and on the ground are bald eagles. Incredible, huh?

But then when we were back in Juneau, driving past the city landfill, we’d see a dozen or so bald eagles scavenging the garbage. Kind of like seeing one picking at a roadkill here in Wisconsin.

Flash-forward to the years when I used to get frequent migraines. I’d lay in bed, relax as much as the pain would let me, and imagine those bald eagles (in miniature) plucking the pain out of my brain and flying off with it. It worked, almost every time, and I’d be able to fall asleep and wake up in the morning pain-free.

I’ve tried the same imagery for other kinds of pain and the results have varied. I think it depends on what kind of pain I’m in, where it’s at and what’s causing it. But headache? I got that monster beat.

Anyway, what can guided imagery do for you?
1)     promote relaxation
2)     reduce problems related to stress
3)     lower blood pressure
4)     calm breathing and heart rate
5)     help to reach goals such as weight loss, smoking cessation and even athletic and academic goals
6)     manage pain
7)     help to maintain hormone balance

How does it work?

The mind is a powerful tool and can be used to heal an ailing body. By using words and images, your mind can move your attention away from the worry, stress and pain you are experiencing and help you find your own natural powers of healing.

With guided imagery, you can use your imagination to "create the state you want." What your mind thinks has a tremendous effect on the body, so we need to change the way our minds think to help our bodies do what we want.

Our bodies aren’t always going to respond how we would like; life is just not that easy. But there are no risks to trying something like guided imagery and you might find enough benefit to make those few minutes to a half hour worthwhile.


No comments: