Sunday, February 9, 2020

Yes, This is Really in the Bible


He: How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves.
She: How handsome you are, my beloved! Oh, how charming! And our bed is verdant.
(Song of Songs 1:15-16, New International Version)

Last Sunday, I had thought about doing a series of blog posts on the four different types of love that are in the Bible. Then I thought better of it. But oddly enough, one of the commercials during the Superbowl last Sunday night showed those four kinds of love. I think that was God saying, you can do this, Chris.

So I thought I would tackle, what for me, is the hardest one of the four to write about. Eros, the romantic and even sensual love.

Solomon’s Song of Songs in the Old Testament is an entire book of the Bible dedicated to the love between a man and a woman coming together in marriage and then consummating that union. Honestly, there are some really carnal lines in those pages.  

I think it’s difficult for most of us to comprehend that God intended for us to have sex, and not just for making babies. He gave us the gift of marriage and with it all the joys and pleasures it brings. His plan was always for a man and woman, once joined in marriage, to have a physical relationship, pure and beautiful.

Where that plan falls apart is when we sin by using this gift of sex outside of marriage. But that is a lecture I’m not going into here; that’s not what this is about.  

  As soon as I had left them,
    I found the one I love.
I held him and would not let him go
    until I brought him to my mother’s house,
    to the room where I was born. (Song of Songs 3:4, New Century Version)

(Here's the links to that Superbowl commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtyQ3CFzhP8

No comments: