Sunday, November 1, 2020

Giving Thanks for Caring Co-workers

  Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as you are doing. (Thessalonians 5:11, New International Version)

It’s hard to believe that we have made it this far. Here it is, already November 1. I keep thinking – we got this, the year 2020 won’t be with us much longer, than things will get better, right? Well, you may have heard this from me already, but I said that same thing at the end of last year, because, if you recall 2019 was pretty crummy for me. I couldn’t wait for the new year and a fresh start. Look where that got any of us.

But we have to believe that things will get better. And we have to realize that things are not really that bad, we have to remember all the things we have to be thankful for. Thus begins my November 2020 series of blog posts sharing what I am thankful for this year.

My list for 2020 has to begin with my amazing co-workers. When the rest of the world was shutting down, when the masses were working from home, when no one was having any in-person contact with anyone except for the family members they lived with, I was blessed beyond measure to spend my working days with the best group of people ever.

As an “essential worker” (another one of those terms like “social distancing” which we never heard until this year), I continued going to work at the medical clinic nearly every day. Initially, we each had an extra day off a week, with our providers working from home via phone and computer, all to cut down on contact. As the country began to come to terms with what to do in a pandemic, we all went back into the clinic full-time.

With our masks on, we read each other’s thoughts by the look in our eyes, a look which usually said, “yes, we have your back.” We were able to share our fears, we voiced our concerns and displayed our emotions. We laughed, a lot. Because we needed to. And most importantly, we were able to feel that undeniable and vital lifeline of human life. Another human being living through the same thing as me.  

Oh, Lord, God, how I thank you for giving me with this group of supportive people to work with. You have blessed me way more than I deserve. Amen.     

   For God is not unjust. He will not forget how hard you have worked for him and how you have shown your love to him by caring for others. (Hebrews 6:10, New Living Translation) 

No comments: