Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Kakabika Falls – blog post #6 from the family vacation

     Yes, I am still working my way through our short family vacation to northern Wisconsin this past fall. This is the second part of our third full day there. Good thing I don’t take full week-long vacations with my kids; I’d never get around to sharing all the pictures. 

Monday morning, wet and dreary, after our first few stops around Montreal and Hurley, we crossed the border into Michigan and headed 39 miles east on US Hwy 2 to Cty Rd 527, which turns into 2 Mile Road and then Sleepy Hollow Road before hitting Hwy 45 at Paulding. But, only about half a mile in on Rd 527, we stopped at the Kakabika Falls parking lot on the left.



We started hiking the somewhat random trail along the Cisco Branch of the Ontonagon River, passed several smaller falls and rapids and just plain prettiness. The main falls is only somewhat over 500 feet downstream from the parking lot. But, as my total 132 pictures attest, every step was worth it. 



When I post pictures like this on my blog, I try to keep them under twelve per post. Sometimes, though, it is impossible to stop. Such an awesome place to explore. 



Someone had said at the start of our vacation, that there hadn’t been much rain up north over the last two months. Well, I guess we hadn't had much down home either, after the wettest July on record. We were worried that the rivers and streams would be low, but I guess all the rain we had the first night we were there got the water levels up.






I still can’t believe that I’ve never been to this area before. 

Buddy can't believe it either. 


 

No comments: