Sunday, June 4, 2023

Prayer for Peace


Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:

where there is hatred, let me sow love;

where there is injury, pardon;

where there is doubt, faith;

where there is despair, hope;

where there is darkness, light;

where there is sadness, joy.

 

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek

to be consoled as to console,

to be understood as to understand,

to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive,

it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,

and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

I shared this prayer here many years ago and haven’t read it probably since then. But for some reason it has been on my mind lately, so I thought I would share it today.

At one time it was thought to have been written by St. Francis of Assisi, but there is no proof of that. Generally, it is considered to have been written anonymously. Thank you to whoever did write it; it is beautiful and should be written in our hearts.

(And since St. Francis is known as the saint of animals and nature, I thought a picture of the bunny who has been living in my yard the last two years was appropriate.)

No comments: