Sunday, April 28, 2024

A Prayer for the Day


The Lord the Shepherd of His People - A Psalm of David.

   The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness

For His name’s sake.

   Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil; For You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

   Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life;

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. (Psalm 23, New King James Version)

I’ve had multiple posts this year where I wrote about Bible verses we may have memorized, and I once mentioned the chapter in the Bible which many of us have committed to memory. Or at least we know most of it because we have heard it so many times!

But what does the 23rd Psalm mean for us in the 21st century?

I just finished reading a book where the author asked what it would look like if we rewrote this chapter to fit our lives. Mine looks like this.

My Lord and God, my shepherd, my guardian. You always take care of me. You give me a bed to sleep in at night and water to quench my thirst. You give me strength to get through each day and help me to do what is right when I wander. Even when I am surrounded by darkness and evil, You walk at my side and keep me safe. You provide me the food I need to eat and bless me with everything to satisfy my physical needs. Then You provide me with everything I need for my spiritual needs. You bless me more than I can ever say. Your goodness and love will be with me always, and when I leave my earthly home, I will have a home with You in heaven for all eternity. Amen.

Kind of a nice prayer to say each day. What would your's look like? 

No comments: