Sunday, April 14, 2024

Take Down the Ten Commandments?

 

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. (James 1:19, New Living Translation)

In January this year, I posted various Bible verses that I intended to memorize. I think I did pretty well on that goal.

Then, last week, I started adding more passages. Yikes! My brain may be full, but I am going to plow through and try some more. And I came upon this verse.

But here’s what I think. I know certain groups want to remove the Ten Commandments from all public areas, to which I shake my head in disgust. But how about we at least replace them with this verse? How can anyone be offended by this?

My dear brothers and sisters, always be willing to listen and slow to speak. Do not become angry easily. (James 1:19, New Century Version)

Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear. (James 1:19, The Message)

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. (James 1:19, New King James Version)

Whatever version works for you.

Oh, and then live by it. And maybe realize there are more commands in the Bible which would make our world a better place if we all lived by then. 

No comments: