Friday, March 20, 2020

Excerpt and Explanation


     I was going to write more about the pandemic tonight, but after losing two nights sleep thinking about what to tell you, I’m giving us all a break. Maybe you need to just do some light reading this weekend.

After he left, Dee looked out the window. The sun was up and not the slightest breeze stirred the leaves that still littered the ground. She’d brought warm clothes; the cool morning air might revive her. Even if it meant walking past cabin number 4.
Outside, the air was nippy, but she bundled her winter scarf around her neck and started the trek through the woods. When she came to the four cottages, the black Suburban was gone. Though the curtains were closed in cabin number 4, she could see lights on inside.
She watched for any sign of life inside. Nothing at first, but then she saw a shadow pass by the window. Dee waited but couldn’t detect any other activity in the small house.
She strode passed it without looking at it again, intent on getting to Lake Michigan. The walk, as the maintenance man had promised, was short and the trail well-groomed.
The water was calm, the waves gentle, nearly whispering as they feathered the rocky beach. She walked the stretch of beach until she came to what must be the parking lot the man had told her about. She considered walking back to the resort via the road but instead turned back the way she had come.
She almost missed the secluded trail back, not realizing how thick the trees were growing that close to the shore. When she arrived back at the cabins, the SUV had just pulled up. 

I’m only going to bore you with my latest story “To Find Justice” a few more times. I thought I should at least tell you a little of what it is about.

Dee Richards, a devoted wife and mother, dreams of writing a mystery novel. When friends loan her the use of their condo for a week, she seizes the opportunity to make her dream a reality. A secretive couple who is also staying at the resort captures her imagination. Will she finish writing her book or will the mystery right next-door change Dee’s life forever?

Dee works at a store in a small Wisconsin town, her husband at the paper mill.  Yes, they live in a town much like my hometown of Tomahawk. Years ago, I wrote two other short (and horrible) stories about this place, only its name was Owilli. Can anyone guess where I got that name from? Way back when I was growing up, our papermill was owned by Owens-Illinois. Maybe someday, I’ll bring out the other (only much improved) stories of the people who live in Owilli.

The main location for “To Find Justice”, though, is a resort along the shores of Lake Michigan. A place similar to where the picture above was taken. Or perhaps this one. Both taken of Lake Michigan in August. But I soon realized that they were too bright and the wrong season. 

The picture I did choose for the cover is from Lake Superior in September. Wouldn’t you agree it fits the setting much better?

I imagine most authors use stock photos for their books, but that darn photographer in me insists on coming out.
You can find “To Find Justice” on Amazon here. Waiting for my first review of it. Hint, hint. And also, if you find formatting errors, my apologies, this was my first time doing something like this. I'll do better next time. 

Have a good weekend. Be safe, stay healthy.


No comments: