Sunday, March 29, 2020

shall not perish


(This year’s Lenten posts revolve around John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” With COVID19 on everyone’s minds, I find it hard not to veer from that theme and instead offer Biblical inspiration for dealing with the pandemic. But we need to turn our eyes back towards Lent and the upcoming crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Despite all this chaos, I’m not going to let my Easter be canceled.)

   Jesus told her, “I am the one who raises the dead and gives them life again. Anyone who believes in me, even though he dies like anyone else, shall live again. (John 11:25, Living Bible)

When God created the world and put us humans on it, he intended for us to live forever. Without sin, our bodies wouldn’t wear out and fail us. We were meant to have eternal peace and happiness on this earth.

But Adam and Eve sinned against God which began a long list of problems for everyone who followed. I think that as the world goes on and more sin permeates it, things for us continue to go downhill. I know that God will never turn His back on us, but as more people fall away from Him – well – I don’t know.

I think our world is in a rough place right now. Maybe all the shootings, crazy weather, wars, and general anger, distrust, and despair were just the beginning and now this coronavirus pandemic. There’s a lot going on, and I’m fearful, but not for myself. I’m afraid for all the non-believers out there. As for me, I know where my faith is and I know that I will not perish.

LORD, God, Heavenly Father, I turn to You in prayer. I humbly ask that You send Your Holy Spirit into the hearts of non-believers that they may turn to You in time of trouble. Amen.   

No comments: