Friday, March 6, 2020

Flashback Friday - Fotography


   If you have been following this blog, you may have realized that in addition to writing, I’ve always had a passion for photography. Back in my youth, I used a Kodak Instamatic of some sort, with no settings except to point and shot.

I still had fun with it. 

I managed to save enough money, that when I left for college that first fall after high school, I had enough left after paying my tuition, room and board, that I went out and bought a real camera. A totally manual Yashica FX-3 SLR 35 mm and multiple accessories, such as a tilt flash, zoom lens and some fun filters. Plus a camera bag for it all. I even signed up for a photography class, which was located just a mile from the dorm where I lived. Which meant that every Thursday night (I think it was Thursdays, that was 39 years ago), I walked twenty minutes there and back, in the dark, along city streets. (Did my mom know I was doing this??)

Last week I scanned some of those old first photos I took back then, planning on sharing them here. 

Then I dragged out my old Yashica to take a picture of it. She looks pretty rough. 

I have had two camera bags in my closet for twenty-one years now, my original one and the one my sister Pat had for her camera and accessories, which her husband gave me when she passed away.

I had to drag both bags out now to see what else was in there – okay, actually I was looking for the receipt for my camera. I seem to remember that I kept it forever and would have left it in the camera bag, but no such luck. What I did find, however, was a third 35 mm. Where that came from, I have no idea.   

Again, the story of my life – everything is a mystery.

No comments: