Sunday, May 30, 2021

Remembering Memorial Day

 Even if a whole army surrounds me, I will not be afraid; even if enemies attack me, I will still trust God. I have asked the Lord for one thing; one thing only do I want: to live in the Lord's house all my life, to marvel there at his goodness, and to ask for his guidance. (Psalm 27:3-4, Good News Translation)

Tomorrow is Memorial Day here in the US. I’ve written about this holiday before – well, but for starters, I don’t feel it’s a “holiday”. Holiday to me means celebration and joy, while Memorial Day means something totally different. The day is dedicated to the men and women who gave their lives defending our freedoms. It should be a somber day of remembrance and giving thanks for the sacrifices that others have made for us.

 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. (1 John 3:16, New International Version)

Thank You, God, for those who have given their lives for their country. And thank You for the ultimate sacrifice of sending Your Son to save all believers. Amen

 My blog post about the death of my cousin, Ben Greene, in Vietnam:  https://chrisloehmer.blogspot.com/2011/05/another-memorial-day.html

No comments: