Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Big Rock on the Big Hill

   I’ve been sharing pictures from our weekend camping trip from a month ago. You may remember that last Friday I introduced you to the Screaming Rock. Though we didn’t make it to the top of the next rock, it was still as scenic. And challenging.

To get there, we parked at the Parking Lot for the Big Hill Hiking Trail. Not the most original name and not really a parking lot, just a widening of 19th Avenue, just off of Hwy 21, with enough room for three vehicles. The hike was short and not too strenuous.

This is actually called Petenwell Rock, which is along Petenwell Bluff which is along the Wisconsin River, just south of Petenwell Dam and Petenwell Lake. I did a lot of searching on the internet to find out where that name came from and all I found was it is from the word Pe-ton-won which means “quiver". If anyone has more time on their hands and wants to research that, let me know what you find.  

 When we got to the base of the actual rock, I was in awe. Wow, did I ever wish I had true climbing skills and nerves of steel.

Like those people down there with their rappelling equipment, which you can barely see through the trees. I didn’t want to get any closer and distract anyone, causing them to fall.


Instead, my excitement was photo-bombing on my son, his dog and his friend. (Can you find me in each picture?)




There we all finally are. 


The final thrill of the hike was discovering this Lady Slipper. How beautiful! 


For more information, check out these websites -

            Rock Climbing at Petenwell Bluff:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105730033/necedah-petenwell-bluff

            A detailed history of the area. I didn’t have the time to read the whole thing.

https://www.adamscountylibrary.info/files/localhistory/past_present/images/00000006.pdf

            From the Historical Society of Wisconsin, which is seven words about the meaning of Petenwell. 

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS11704



No comments: