Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Reflections and the Rest of Washington Island, Door County, Post #8

      Sorry that I didn’t blog on Sunday like I usually do. I was out of town at a friend’s and didn’t have internet or the time. Today I thought I should blog about current events – the war Russia is waging against Ukraine seems to have taken over the headlines. “Will hear of wars and rumors of war.” Along with all the other things going on. “But see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.” (from Matthew 24:6)

Today is also the first day of Lent, Ash Wednesday, and how many people even remember what that signifies.

But maybe we all need to just get away, like I did this past weekend. And like I plan on doing a lot in the coming months. And like I did those few days back in October in Door County.

Here’s a hodge-podge of the afternoon we spent on Washington Island. 

Fragrant Isle Lavender Farm and Shop. 

Lavender was all done for the season, but the shop was open, so I bought a little jar of Lavender face cream which I still use every night. 

Mountain Park Lookout Tower. There was a sign saying it was closed due to structural issues, but it was tough not to still climb up. 
Looking across the bay to Rock Island. The last boats were coming back for the season. Will have to try to make it over there next summer. 

Jackson Harbor Soup. Also closed for the season. 

At least going that time of year meant we didn't have to fight any crowds. 


I bet this park is crowded all summer. 

Hog Island National Wildlife Refuge, which is probably never crowded, except for the nesting birds it supports. 

Sand Dunes Beach Park. Yup, another busy place on a warm, sunny day, I'm sure. 

Then back to the ferry to return us to the mainland. 

No comments: