Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The Devil Made Me Do It, Dells post #7

     Monday, October, 18, once again held the promise of being a great day on my fall vacation. By 10:30, with the sun shining and a temperature of 53 degrees, I arrived at a quiet Devil’s Lake State Park.

I checked this map and thought I would follow Grottos Trail to CCC Trail along East Bluff Trail and back down Balanced Rock Trail. That’s only two miles, I could do that.

But when I got to Potholes Trail, I was intrigued. I also thought that maybe two miles was going to be a bit much. I knew the trails were going to be steep and rocky, and I wanted to enjoy the hike and take too many pictures.

So up that trail I went.


Though calling it a trail was not all that accurate. I know that thousands of people hike this area every year, but really? They call this a trail?

Oh, but it was beautiful.

And I’m tougher than I look. Okay, really, just bull-headed.  

But I was also alone and not as prepared as I could have been. 

All I had for sustenance was a packet of Fruit Snacks in my pocket.

This narrow passage between the rocks was almost my undoing.



But I finally made it to the potholes.

And the view? Nothing like it anywhere.

Come back Friday for more scenes like this as I hike back down the bluff.

No comments: