Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Beach, Mombasa and the Trip Home

Back to my last trip to Kenya. Yes, I know it was over three months ago, but I just want to keep reliving it, especially with all the cloudy days of winter that we have left here in Wisconsin. 

I've shared a lot of pictures and stories from our four day stay at Diani Beach. 

 But how is it possible to not continue to imagine this beach with its blue water and that blue sky above and wish you were there. 

One of the big forms of transportation along the coast was the Tuk-tuk. These little motorbike cabs which motored up and down all the streets, with the nicest young men driving them. But after those four days, Friday morning it was time to head back to Nairobi. 


Unfortunately, the airport which we flew into on Monday closed for repairs two days later, forcing us to fly out of Mombasa. The airline loaded us into a coach bus at the airport and drove us the hour and a half to the Mombasa airport. Not a bad ride, but I anticipated what was coming. 

The city of Mombasa is mostly on an island, and though there are several bridges, I knew we'd have to take the ferry across the channel at one point. The picture below isn't from this trip, but is one which my daughter took when she boarded a pedestrian ferry in Mombasa in 2010. This is the kind of vessel you picture making news headlines when it sinks from being over loaded and over half of the passengers drown. 


I'm so thankful that our coach bus drove into a large vehicle ferry operated by the Likoni Ferry Service.  

And the crossing was so smooth, it didn't even feel like we were moving. 

Once back on land and in the city, I caught a few pictures out the bus's windows. 

Coz I'll take pictures of everything I can. 

Once we got to the airport, we unfortunately had a several hour wait for our plane to board. Time we would have rather spent on the beach. But there's always next time...

Okay, but I did find this blurb on Wikepedia: On April 29, 1994, the MV Mtongwe ferry bound for the mainland capsized just 40 meters from port, killing 272 of the 400 people on board.

No comments: