Wednesday, January 25, 2023

I promise . . .

I know. It’s been three months and seven days since I returned from my last trip to Kenya. I promise this will be the last blog post about it.

 

I wanted to share some pictures from The Hub mall in Karen. We went there our last Saturday in Africa; I needed to buy some nuts and treats to take home.

On the back side of the mall there are beautiful gardens surrounding a pond.

Since I was there last, they installed a bouncy house and a climbing wall, along with a zip line over the pond.


On Sunday, our very last day in Kenya, our host Marta took us and her two boys to a park outside of Kikuyu.

It’s called Leilani Gardens and has space for outdoor weddings and other events.

Parks like this always seem out of place in the dust and clutter of the cities of Kenya or the desert-like landscape of the Rift Valley.

There is a name for this grass by the way. We called it lumpy grass.


Speaking of lumpy, I never did tell you about how on our first full day in Kenya, I missed the last step going downstairs for breakfast.

This was my foot the second day.

And five days later. No, I didn’t bother going to the doctor or getting an x-ray. It finally stopped hurting and my full mobility returned around Christmas.

It was another eventful trip. And though I hated the thought of flying into Chicago at the end of it, it’s still always nice to get my feet – broken or not – on home soil.  


No comments: