Wednesday, February 1, 2023

A Stop at the High Ground

             I feel like I’m way behind on blog posts this year already. It’s only the first of February, and I have no idea where 2023 has gone. And yet, I’m still blogging about places I went last fall.

            In October, after coming home from Kenya, I took off one weekend to visit my friend in Minnesota. I’ve been there a few times a year since she moved there, and I know I’ve traveled highway 10 through Neillsville before. I’ve seen the signs for this place but never took the time to stop. Until this time.

            From their website:

            The Highground Veterans Memorial Park, located four miles west of Neillsville, started as the Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial Project in 1984. It has grown to a 155-acre Park that includes a museum, a gift shop, pavilions, picnic areas and four miles of hiking trails. The private facility, which receives no ongoing federal or state funding, is supported by donations and grants. The Park is free to the public and open 24/7/365. Today, The Highground is the largest manned Veterans Park in the nation.

            I wish I would have spent more time there. I’ll definitely go back again, hopefully in the summer when the gardens are in bloom.

            A beautiful place with a beautiful purpose. Let us never forget the service our veterans gave our country.






All gave some, and some gave all. 

Click this link for more information. 

No comments: