Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Have you been chosen? 2023 Lenten blog post #1

“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20, New Living Translation)

Today is Ash Wednesday, the day which marks the first day of Lent, which leads us to Good Friday and ultimately Easter. The six and a half weeks or forty-six days during which Christians are asked to reflect on our lives, repent of our sins, and remember that Jesus is our Savior.

Every year I try to write my blog posts during Lent around a central theme. Since Hubby and I just finished watching the first two seasons of The Chosen, I thought that might be a good place to start this year.

Before we watched it, I’d read a little about it, and so I should have known what it was about. But sometimes I’m kind of slow. I knew it was about Jesus’s disciples, but it took me several episodes to figure out that it meant that those disciples were The Chosen. At first I thought it meant that Jesus was The Chosen, chosen by God to redeem us. Like I say, I’m a little slow.

For a while, I’ve wanted to write about those twelve followers of Jesus Christ, the men He chose to walk beside Him, learn from Him, become commissioned to spread His word, and perform miracles. Why did He choose Peter, Matthew, John, and the rest?

But here’s a better question: why did He choose you? Or did he even choose you? And what are you doing about it?

No comments: