Sunday, February 12, 2023

Is COVID Still Out There?

   Go, my people, enter your rooms and shut the doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until his wrath has passed by. (Isaiah 26:20, New International Version)

I woke up Tuesday morning with a sore throat. It mostly felt dry so I thought it was just from our bedroom’s humidifier acting up. By the end of the day, I was feeling more fatigued than usual and a little congested.

It hit me the next morning. At least I had Wednesday and Thursday off from work. And even though I woke up on Friday still coughing, aching and feverish, I thought I’d try making it to work, after, however, taking a COVID test.

When our nurse at work tested me, she said I sounded horrible (she wasn’t lying), and that I had to take the day off no matter what the test showed.

Which didn’t matter in the end, because I did come back positive for COVID.

I know? What? I have no idea where I got it from this time. I’m feeling fine today and get to leave quarantine tomorrow. But still, feeling like a leper makes a person feel like – emotional and mental crap on top of the already physical crap.

With COVID on my brain the last two days, I started reading through the journal I started writing three years ago in March of 2020 when the pandemic started treating us all like extras in an apocalyptic movie. While reading it, I came across the above Bible verse that I had discovered at the time.

It was a horrible couple of years. Man, reading what I wrote during that time, I sure sounded like I was losing my mind. I guess that’s why we journal, coz looking back our memories tell us something different.

Anyway, we did lock ourselves in our rooms, or at least our houses and apartments, for a solid two years. It wasn’t pretty, but we got through. And apparently, since that stupid virus is still roaming around out there, we still are fighting our way through it.  

LORD, we’ll never understand Your ways or why You let bad things happen to us and the world around us. Help us to remember, though, that no matter what is going on around us, You will always be watching over us. Amen.

No comments: