Sunday, February 5, 2023

What was lost is found

“Or suppose a woman who has ten silver coins loses one of them—what does she do? She lights a lamp, sweeps her house, and looks carefully everywhere until she finds it. When she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, and says to them, ‘I am so happy I found the coin I lost. Let us celebrate!’ In the same way, I tell you, the angels of God rejoice over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15:8-10, Good News Translation)

I’ve had this cross for a long time. Hubby gave it to me many, many years ago, and over those many years, I’ve managed to lose it several times. I wear it 24/7, so I’ve broken the chain a few times and a few other times the cross has pulled free from its chain.

I spent last weekend at my daughter’s house. There was a crisis going on in the family, which I’m not at liberty to share, but even without any information, I’m sure you can understand that I was stressed.

When I woke up Saturday morning, I thought the clasp on the necklace felt different, but I never bothered to check for the cross. By Sunday morning, I finally realized that the cross was gone.

As I’ve already mentioned, I’ve lost this cross before and it has always turned up. And this time, by the time I noticed its absence, I didn’t think that sweeping the house and searching for it was worthwhile. We had thoroughly vacuumed my daughter’s house Saturday morning, so I knew it was possible that my cross was now in the trash.

Monday morning, I was still at her house, when one of her roommates set my cross on my laptop while I was typing something.  

“Is this yours? I found it on the bathroom floor,” he told me.

“Yes, it is,” I answered. Because, even though I was rejoicing in my heart, I remain stoic around others. “Thank you so much.”

LORD, thank You for everything You do for me. From the huge answers to prayers to the most minor acts of Your Grace. I don’t deserve to be called Your child, yet I am thankful beyond words that You have indeed saved me and hold me in Your loving arms. Amen.  

No comments: