Sunday, January 8, 2023

Do Not Be Still

 Do not keep silent, O God! Do not hold Your peace, And do not be still, O God! (Psalm 83:1, New King James Version)

Last Sunday, I introduced you to my Bible verse for this year. “Be Still and know that I am God.

I thought today that I would follow up on that, cite other verses with the same message, that sort of thing. Instead, I stumbled on the passage above. It looks like, while God is telling us to be still, we are asking Him to not be still. We want His voice heard. We want Him to roar like a lion. We want Him to declare Himself to be God above all the heavens and earth.

Why do we want that? The last verse of Psalm 83 answers that question.

That they may know that You, whose name alone is the Lord, Are the Most High over all the earth. (Psalm 83:18, New King James Version)

The thing to remember, though, is that God has it under control. Yes, He listens to our prayers and our pleas. But He will be still when He chooses and roar like a lion when it’s the right time. He knows way more than we do. And as we wait for Him to act, we just need to be still and know He is God. 

No comments: