Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Two Stops to Start with, Spring Vacation, Blog post #2

Oh, man, it’s been a rough couple of weeks. It’s been two weeks since we got home from our trip to Kentucky, and I’ve not done much since then, except lay around complaining of all the pain I’m in. I tweaked my back loading the car when we left home and really threw it out of place a few days after we got back. Mostly I’m just frustrated, but it’ll get better.

But you didn’t open this post to hear about that. No, you want to know what we did those three full days we were in the northern tip of Kentucky.

Sunday, our first full day there, the weather was beautiful – sunny with a high close to 70. We slept in – for us – and didn’t get on the road until close to 9:30. I had a short route mapped out from our Airbnb, just around the area, of what I thought would be interesting places to see.  

First stop was Dinsmore Homestead, which was closed until April 1. I still got out and wandered around the grounds.

It looks like all the other old homesteads I’ve visited, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t fascinated by it.

Imaging myself living there in the 1850’s, wearing those long, beastly hot dresses in the heat of summer, without even a fan in the house. And taking a bath twice a year, no idea how often I could have washed the long tresses of hair that I would have had.

 Okay, it would be fun to live there for a weekend in the spring.

Moving on. Next stop was a fascinating historic district called Rabbit Hash. Yes, it’s named for the population of rabbits, many of whom ended up in the pot on the stove.

I’m not really sure what all the buildings are in this little area, but I took pictures of them anyway.

And the fog on the Ohio River with the ghostly riverboat on the opposite shore.

The only building that was open was the General Store, where we poked around a bit. Two old geezers and two old dogs were relaxing around the pot belly stove, on which were cooking cinnamon rolls. But the men were too busy telling tall tales to offer us one.

 The Old Hacienda does have a listing on the Airbnb site. It looks pretty cool inside from the pictures that are posted, but it’s pricey too.

It was all pretty cool actually, but very hillbilly, and that’s coming from a country hick like me.

Anyway, we did a lot more driving that day. And I took a lot more pictures, but I think I’ll share them another time. My back is still killing me, and I should get to bed. 


No comments: