Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Brenda’s Move Home

We had our share of fun those seven and a half months that Brenda and I lived on our own in Colorado. But then I met someone, and she didn’t. So it was time for her to move back home and for me to stay out there with my new life.

As a gift to our friend Sal, we flew her out to Colorado the end of May. You know how my family had driven all over the country, and Brenda’s family had taken at least a few trips. Sal though? I don’t think she had ever been anywhere, except to a Loverboy concert I took her to in Madison the year before.

We drove her all around the Rockies west of Denver. Then we packed up Brenda’s faithful car and the three of us drove back to Wisconsin. Somewhere in Wyoming, Brenda got a speeding ticket. How fast do you have to be going to get a speeding ticket in Wyoming?? Other than that it was a swell trip home, stopping in the Black Hills to show Sal some more of the world.

We unpacked the Nova. I left Brenda and Sal and all my other friends behind. I packed the rest of my stuff into Jolly (short for Jolly Green Giant, my 1974 Chevrolet Caprice), picked up my fiancé at the airport, and then the two of us drove back to Castle Rock to start our life together. Or at least the next seven years.

No comments: