Monday, February 21, 2011

“Hannibal and Nauvoo”

August 8, 2001, our last official day of playing tourist in Missouri. So, of course the logical stop would be the city of Hannibal, home of Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer, Becky Thatcher and Huck Finn. Another romantic little town along the Mississippi, full of charm and history.

Ever since I was a kid, after reading the adventures of Tom Sawyer, I wanted to go to Hannibal, see the white-wash fence, take a riverboat ride, explore a cave. Ok, but I knew I couldn’t do the cave, claustrophobia again rears its ugly head.

We still did enough touristy things and then it was time to head on up the road. We were heading to Illinois. Now, I have already shared with you two of my secrets – I can’t hold my liquor and I freak when in any enclosed place. It is time that I reveal a truth about my dear husband Himey.

He hates Illinois.

Shortly after crossing the border, he claimed we got lost. We never got lost, he was just already starting to panic. Then we stopped to buy gas. It was $1.24 when he started pumping (isn’t that hard to believe!), and then the price went down by a penny. He completely blew a gasket when the attendant wouldn’t honor the lower price.

Excuse me, honey, whether fair or not, that amounted to seven cents.

Then he thought we got lost again. Whether we did that time or not, I don’t remember, but that was about when we stumbled on the town of Nauvoo. It is like a Midwestern Williamsburg, only smaller. It was founded by the Mormons before they were persecuted to the point of heading further west to settle in Utah. We didn’t have much time to spend there, but several years later, we did go back for the day (believe it or not, I got Himey to go back to Illinois), so I will share that story when we get to it.

No comments: