Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Muffins comes home


I am going to try once again to get on track and write with some sort of theme. I’m back on the animal track, planning over the next few weeks to fill you in on some of the animals I may have missed.

It was 21 years ago, early May I think, and I had just come home from the annual state CMA convention. We’d been in our house eight months. Nick was five and Val had just turned one. I pulled the car into the garage, gathered my things and ambled into the house. Before I could even hug the kids “hello”, Nick was sputtering. “You didn’t see it? You walked right through the garage and didn’t notice anything?”

I diligently went back into the garage to have a look. There on a blanket next to the riding mower was a little bundle of brown. She spied me standing in the door and wobbled to me on chubby legs.

We had been throwing around the idea of getting a dog and while I was out of town that weekend, someone offered my first husband a six-week-old puppy. Nick named her Muffins Mandie-dog Rowdy. I don’t know where it all came from, except that my sister had a dog named Mandie and this puppy was rowdy.

Val hadn’t started walking yet. As we were all sitting around the kitchen floor playing with the new addition, Val let go of the cupboard and walked to us. Either she forgot herself or she didn’t want the dog getting all the attention. But that is the story of how we got another pet and how Val learned to walk on her own two feet. 

No comments: