Thursday, August 9, 2012

"There will come soft rains"


“There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound.” Sara Teasdale, 1920

I first read this poem when I was in high school and never knew why I was drawn to it. I didn’t learn until many years later that it was about war and the extinction of mankind. No wonder Ms.Teasdale committed suicide.
 

















When we were in Michigan camping in July, we had beautiful sunny weather, until Wednesday morning, when it rained for four hours. You know how I am about taking pictures, so I had to go out and document some after-the-rain shots to go with the pictures I had taken on Monday.
                        

After just so little rain, I found it amazing that the rivers had gone up this much. It makes me feel even more sympathetic towards those living in areas of our country affected by drought. You would think that in this great land of ours in the year 2012 we could ship them enough water to make a difference.

Hmm? Read all of Sara Teasdale’s poem sometime. In the world we live in now, let me know what it has to say to you.   

2 comments:

Susan Marlene said...

Hi Chris, Becky says hi! She was so impressed with you when she met you at the conference! Your question at the end of your post reminde me of a blog I read tonight. I think it was called BlogBlitz or something simular. Anyway it was stated that most people who visit a blog don't post a comment...actually 1% do. A good way to recieve comments is what you just did...ask a question!! Well done!!

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks, Sue, as usual you inspire me to keep going.