Sunday, August 12, 2012

What can you give up?

"Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can't be my disciple.” Luke 14:33 The Message 



Hopefully this will be last blog post about our vacation to Michigan’s UP this year. I really could tell lots more stories, but you are probably getting bored with it all. I can’t help it that I found so much inspiration there.

And I know I’ve shared a little bit about these guys before, but here is another take on them. The Jampot is that cute little shop that sells preserves and baked goods where the hubby has to stop at least twice each vacation. Here’s a hint – their Hermit Cookies are absolutely to die for.


If it weren’t for the fact that the guy waiting on you is wearing a plain brown robe and has a beard practically down to his waist, you might forget that these guys are monks. Sure it’s easy to think that they are up here in the middle of nowhere running a business just like anyone else, but they have turned their lives completely over to Jesus Christ. They live a simple life, they own nothing of their own, they stay at their monastery on the shores of Lake Superior all through the dead of winter with more snow than you can even imagine. And through those long dark cold winter months, they spend most of their time in prayer and reflection. 


I’ve always wondered what that kind of a life would be like. Dismissing the fact that I’m not Catholic, I’ve tried to imagine what it would be like to be a nun. Do I have to go to any of those extremes to give my life to Christ? Nope, not unless He calls me to do something that drastic.

For now, I will try to live a life which honors my Savior, read my Bible, connect with other believers, encourage non-believers, write a weekly inspirational blog. And continue to support the monks at the Society of St. John in Eagle Harbor, Michigan. 

No comments: