Thursday, April 24, 2014

Historic Hannibal - vacation day 4

Monday could have been a total loss, but as the saying goes, when life hands you lemons, go shopping. Or maybe that’s not quite the saying. Anyway, we putzed around and didn’t get out to the car until around 8:30. Have I told you yet that the right front tire has had a slow leak? Well, not so slow anymore as I could tell immediately by the way the car was listing.

While Hubby changed the tire, I called the front desk to see if they knew of a place close by which could fix a flat. As luck would have it, right there in tiny Clarksville was a Jubilee Auto. (The hubby was totally shocked that I didn’t digitally record any of the events of the morning, but sometimes even I need a break.)

We were finally on our way out of town around ten. Our first stop was the ghost town of Ilasco. Founded in 1903 it was basically a company town of the Atlas Cement Plant. Though the cement plant is still running, all that is left of Ilasco is a church, one empty store and the jail.

Mark Twain Cave was our next stop. I am only claustrophobic in tight spaces, caves don’t really bother me. As long as I am not alone and there is no chance of getting lost.

Oh, goodness, can you believe I found another cemetery? I know, you are shocked.
This is Riverside Cemetery outside of Hannibal. I don’t know who famous is buried here. All I found was a lot of worn and broken headstones. So sad.

















The hubby’s only request for the day was to buy stamps, so I found the post office for him. We parked the car on a side street and walked there. My mistake.
 OK, so that was only my second injury. We walked back up the hill where I had fallen and up to Rockcliffe Mansion. So huge! Hard to imagine living here.


We walked back to the car and drove to historic downtown Hannibal. The hubby parked on a street bench while I hiked to the top of Cardiff Hill and the base of the Mark Twain Lighthouse.

 “Hey, Huck, what do you suppose is in that ugly building?” So much for the picturesque statue of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. 

No comments: