Friday, April 25, 2014

Sites of St Louis - vacation day 5

Tuesday, the fifth day of our vacation to Missouri, we needed to get up and going in the morning. Our goal was St Louis. I didn’t have a definite plan, only a long list of things to see and do.

We got to downtown and the Gateway Arch around 9:30. Took in the Arch and the Museum of Westward Expansion, things we saw when we were in Missouri years ago. Still were too scared to take the ride to the top of the Arch though.


 There really is a lot about this area of St Louis that I didn’t take the time to research, but I knew I wanted to visit the Old Courthouse, site of the Dred Scott Trial. Inside, there were several rooms filled with exhibits depicting the history of St Louis and Missouri. I wish my brain was a sponge so that I could absorb it all, but instead my brain is more of a dishrag.


 Since we were so close, I indulged the hubby and we walked the extra block to see Busch Stadium. I really was willing to explore it but he said, no, we had gotten close enough.
 The Old Cathedral sounded fascinating. Unfortunately it was undergoing some remodeling. I thought, not a problem, we’ll go inside and check it out. Except that the inside was being remodeling as well, and to top it off mass was starting the second we walked in. That’s the kind of luck we have.
 By now it was early afternoon, so we went back to the car and drove to Forest Park. This park is one of the largest city parks in America, 500 acres bigger than Central Park. If the weather had been warmer, I would have taken off trying to walk the whole thing, but as it was we drove around a little and ended up at the zoo.
 
 This is where I really screwed up. No one told me how huge the St Louis Zoo is! I had no clue. And it’s even free! I think we only took in less than a third of it. We could’ve given up a whole day here, but oh well, I have seen animals before.
And so, as it was nearly closing time and starting to sprinkle, we walked to the car and drove back to our resort. 

No comments: