Sunday, July 13, 2014

How do you choose your king?

“One day the trees decided to choose a king to rule over them. The trees said to the olive tree, ‘You be king over us.’

“But the olive tree said, ‘My oil is used to honor gods and humans. Should I stop making my oil just to go and sway over the other trees?’
(Not an Olive Tree)

“Then the trees said to the fig tree, ‘Come and be our king.’

“But the fig tree answered, ‘Should I stop making my good, sweet fruit just to go and sway over the other trees?’ 

(Not a Fig Tree)

“Then the trees said to the vine, ‘Come and be our king.’

“But the vine answered, ‘My wine makes men and kings happy. Should I stop making my wine just to go and sway over the trees?’
(Yeah, I found a Vineyard)

“Finally, all the trees said to the thornbush, ‘Come and be our king.’

“But the thornbush said to the trees, ‘If you really want to make me king over you, come and find shelter in my shade. But if you don’t want to do this, let fire come out of the thornbush. Let the fire burn even the cedar trees of Lebanon.’ Judges 9:8-15 Easy-to-Read Version
(A Thorn Bush in Africa)

What do these verses mean to you? I have my own thoughts, which I feel best to keep to myself. All I will say is that when I ran across these Bible passages a while back I was once again blown away that God came up with this stuff thousands of years ago and yet we seem to be living this out today.

Lord, help us to wisely choose who our leaders will be. Let us always remember that you are the ultimate ruler and King. Amen.

No comments: