Sunday, July 12, 2015

My Broken Heart

On Sundays I usually write an inspirational blog. Over the years, something that has happened in the past week has sparked an idea which I was able to support with Scripture, finding a Bible verse which went along with my job or my running or something in the news, for example. Not that I ran out of things to say, but a while back, I started sharing random Psalms, because they are beautiful. A few months ago, I switched to Proverbs, because it never fails to amaze me how they are still relevant today.
In all these inspirational posts, I have avoided preaching and avoided controversy.  I don’t want to offend anyone and I don’t want to start anything. I just want to share my feelings and what’s in my heart, and my hope is that someone will have a better day because of it.
The end of June, I ran smack-dab into a wall, one which has left this big gouge in my heart and it feels as though blood is still oozing out of it. I’ve had a lot going on and have a ridiculous amount of stuff to deal with in the next three months, and I don’t seem to be able to deal with any of it because of this wound. I know that I need to hand it over to God and let it go, that as a believer, God will take care of things, that He has it covered, but my soul just keeps screaming out in pain.
I’ve wanted to share this with you for two weeks (it’s only been two weeks? It feels like months), but I didn’t know where to begin and now I don’t know where to go. OK. I just need to say it.
On June 26, the United States Supreme Court ruled that same-sex marriage is legal in every state. That Sunday morning, I shared the following image: 
And got slammed for it. As much as I wanted to unfriend some people or take down my Facebook account completely, I tried to stay out of it as much as I could. But here is what I believe and you will not sway me. This is not up for debate. Anyone reading this can believe whatever they want. I do not hate anyone anywhere for their views, but if you feel the need to share, I won’t respond. Because, as already stated, my beliefs are not up for debate. (And yours aren’t either.)  
I believe that a Christian marriage is between one man and one woman. If any government wants to make marriage that looks like anything else legal, that may be the right of the government and then the right of anyone within that government to seek such a marriage. And everyone can call it a marriage, but I do not believe that it is a marriage which the Triune God that I believe in condones.
I believe that this God of mine is the only One who has a right to judge anyone. If you are straight or gay or lie or cheat or steal, there are things you do which I hate, but just because I do not like some of your actions, does not mean I hate you. I want to love all people, but I am a sinner too. I screw up a lot and ask God for a lot of forgiveness.  And God sees the sins I commit as the same as the sin which homosexuals commit. But it is up to God to judge me and everyone else.
I believe that everyone needs to recognize their sins and ask for forgiveness. God gave us some rules, the Ten Commandments, so that society would run smoothly. He knew it would be impossible for us to follow them, so that’s why God the Father sent His Son to die for all those sins.  God will forgive everyone’s sins and He wants to welcome everyone into His loving arms.
I believe that it breaks God’s heart to see the world falling further and further away from Him. He knows what’s coming, He knows how the world will end. But God the Father also knew how His Son would die, and He knew that it had to happen that way. The legalization of gay marriage in the United States is only one in a long list of events pushing us closer to the end of the world as we know it. 
I believe God will bring me back for the New World, and I want as many friends and family to join me for that glorious day. But I don’t believe God has called me to preach that message to you. I do believe that He is calling me to at least share this post. Do with it what you feel called to do. 

2 comments:

Empty nester at last said...

I saw it and felt bad for some of the comments that were made. I agree with you fully. It is not up to me to judge. That is only up to God. and like you said, I won't hate anyone for the decisions they make. I have many friends that are "gay" and what they do is up to them. They know how I feel and they respect it. And I know when the day comes they will have to answer to God not me. What I have to answer to is did I show my Christian love to them. Sometimes it is hard as it is so shoved down our throats, but I just keep going day by day and know that it is in Gods hands. Bless you my sister for posting this, you have more courage than me. Sometimes it seems like postings like this cause more harm than good! Keep up the good work! God is blessing you!

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Veralynne. My heart was pounding as I wrote this post, but it had been pulling on my conscious long enough and had to be written. May God bless you as well.