Sunday, August 16, 2015

Someone is there to pick you up

9 Two people are better than one,
    because they get more done by working together.
10 If one falls down,
    the other can help him up.
But it is bad for the person who is alone and falls,
    because no one is there to help.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (New Century Version) 

My husband and I left our daughter’s wedding reception early last Saturday night. We are getting too old to party all night. I crawled into bed at the hotel, exhausted, and laid there wide awake for hours. I didn’t feel like I had anything on my mind, but I couldn’t get to sleep.

Around midnight, panic seized me out of nowhere. My daughter. Something had happened to my daughter Val. She was in pain and needed my help. The feeling was so intense that I had the urge to wake my sleeping husband, get dressed, jump in the car and drive the 20 miles back to the reception.

The feeling passed and I eventually drifted to sleep.

In the morning, when I talked to Val, she was miserable. She had fallen some time after midnight and knocked her knee cap out of place. She’s got bad knees and this has happened before. She knew what to do about it. She was not only in physical pain, but emotional pain that this had to happen now. 

My feelings were spot on.

But Val was surrounded by family and friends when she had fallen. She wasn’t alone. Loving arms picked her up and caring individuals got her an ice pack. In the morning, not just one, but two sets of crutches were delivered by people who care about her.

What a blessing to have support in our time of need.


Heavenly Father, thank you for surrounding us with family and friends, people who care about us and are willing to pick us up when we fall. Thank you for sending people like that into my daughter’s life. And thank you, Lord, that her knee is doing better, and please grant her full healing. Amen. 

No comments: