Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Again I say, "Do Not Worry"

Did you read this blog on Sunday? Did I read it?

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear…. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (from Matthew 6, NIV)

So what state of worry did I have myself worked up to this morning?

A week and a half ago we bought a new mattress. They only deliver on certain days, so we scheduled to have it delivered yesterday during my lunch hour. I have been fretting the whole entire last two weeks about being able to get off of work today for the full hour from noon to one as that was when I told them I would be home. I work with a great group of women who are all willing to work together to be sure that we can get away when we need to, yet I still fretted.

I fretted because they didn’t call Monday to confirm. Not that they said they would, I just thought they should. I fretted about being home alone when they came and doing something dumb so they would think I was just a dumb woman. I have no idea what that would possibly be, but I still fretted about it. I fretted about our icy front step and that they would slip and fall. I fretted that they wouldn’t bring the right mattress. I fretted about my hardwood floors getting full of mud and snow from their shoes, as if my dog and cats don’t mess up the floors enough. And I mostly fretted that they wouldn’t show up in that noon to one window.

The whole time those verses from the book of Matthew were completely gone from my head. Why can’t I practice what I preach?

The mattress showed up on time, the two delivery boys set it up without incident. It was a long day – much needed Bible Study at seven a.m. and the church ladies at six p.m. with eight hours of work in between - but I finally got the bed back together, with freshly washed sheets, hours before going to bed. 

Woke up this morning without a backache for the first time in months. Will still have to work on the headache. 
 Dino on the old bed, looking rather dour. 

 Dino on the new bed looking all happy again. And one more of his momma's worries put to rest as Dino can jump the few extra inches up to the new mattress.  

2 comments:

Denise said...

No Backache-YAYYYYYYYY

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

No backache for a few days, and then my back went out when I was stretching this morning....popped it back in, but, man.