Friday, March 4, 2016

The Journey of Six Years

I just missed an anniversary. The first of this month it had been six years since I started this blog. Actually I remember that the very first post was the end of February, but it was so lame – something about “this is a test, this is only a test” – and a few years ago I deleted it concerned that someone would stumble upon it and think that all of my writing was so mind-numbing. And perhaps a lot of it is still that appalling. Yet I keep plugging away.

I have shared my life story here, from childhood to job travails to travels across country and around the world. I’ve written about my pets, my family and some of my friends. I dedicated my Sunday posts to Bible lessons and other inspirations.

It was a learning experience at the beginning. I didn’t know how to attach pictures or links and I didn’t give the earlier posts titles. I started out with an average of four readers per post, am now up to 40 or so. The most read post still remains, “Are you a sea lion or a seal?” with over five thousand views. I have no idea why, as the next most read trails at just over 400 views. I’ve tried different marketing approaches but it remains a mystery to me.

In June 2012 I started a second blog, “writing what i can when i can”, to help me be accountable to my writing goals. It hasn’t got the following of “The Dino Chronicles”, but it was never intended to. The latest change in my blogs is that I have added ads to the bottom of each post. I tried to keep them unobtrusive and I hope that no one is offended by them. I thought I would just see what happens there. Is there any money to be made by blogging? None yet.

But I shouldn’t bore you with facts and figures and findings. I just want to thank everyone who has been following my blogs. I hope that you don’t feel reading them is a waste of your time. I hope that once in a while I’ve taught you something or have made you laugh or even tear up. I hope that you continue to follow my story.


Thanks again and have a great weekend. 
Dino remains my inspiration, whether when writing this blog
 or just when getting out of bed in the morning.
Last boring facts. I've written 1013 posts here and 276 on the other blog!
Isn't that amazing, Dino? 

No comments: