Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Are you a sea lion or a seal?


"What have you got to say?"
"Hello, there."
"Everybody needs some lovin'."


"I can pose pretty too. Blubbery or not."
At the Milwaukee Zoo last week, we attended the sea lion and seal show. Who knew what little personalities they have. Just like our devoted dogs, these sea mammals wanted to please their trainers and show off for strangers.

To me, it is pretty obvious how to tell the seals from the sea lions, but the trainers shared these differences. The sea lion has earflaps, while the seal has earholes. Also the sea lion has long foreflippers, and their hindflippers rotate underneath them so that they can walk on land. The seal however has short foreflippers with long claws and hindflippers that stay straight out. They move on land by wiggling.

I don’t know. I would say that the sea lion is sleek and mobile, while the seal is – well - blubbery. Are the experts just trying not to hurt somebody’s feelings?

3 comments:

Susan Marlene said...

Hi Chris! you visited the Milwaukee Zoo and didn't stop and see Porschea along the way....what were you thinking!! Ha ha. I hope you had tons of fun! :0

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

So sorry, Sue, if I would have stopped to see Porschea I wouldn't have had to go to the zoo!

Susan Marlene said...

That is too true!! She is captivating and would have won your heart in a nano second!! :)

Oh Chris, Becky from www.countrymemoriesfarm.com told me you contacted her about the "How to Get Published" event on July 28th! I will be there.. I sure hope you can also!! I'll be looking for you!!