Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day by Day


Day by day
Oh Dear Lord
Three things I pray
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day
(from the 1971 musical Godspell)
Yesterday was the first day of my week-long vacation. Instead of being able to relax and enjoy it, though, I had a full day. I knew that coming into this and had myself already stressed before it started.

I rushed around in the morning trying to get some housework and laundry done. In the afternoon my husband and I took my mother to visit my cousin who is in a nursing home 50 miles away. My 85-year-old mother’s health has been slowing declining over the last year, so we secured a wheelchair for her use. I was fearful that they would keep her at the nursing home.

After a nice visit with my cousin, we headed across town and down the highway 20 miles to the wedding of my niece’s daughter. The wedding was outside, the weather warm and muggy, and my mom was still in the wheelchair. On top of that, my niece’s family – well, they truly are a nice bunch, but they are a bunch so it is always interesting. And finally, my friend from Minnesota happened to be in the area, so at the last minute, I invited her to join us. It was no big deal, as the wedding was very informal, but it still made me feel weird.

So, all of this made for a stressful day, or I thought it would. I went in to yesterday feeling tense and basically unhappy. Why can’t I just have peace and quiet today, I asked myself. But it all turned out fine. I had a good day, got to visit with lots of people I haven’t seen in a while. And my wheelchair-bound mom, who I was most worried about, had a good day too.

Lord, thank you for all our days, whether they are good ones or not. Help me to remember that you are with me each and every day. And any unhappiness I feel in my days is from me and not from you. 


My sister and brother-in-law with their granddaughter and  her  new husband.

No comments: