Sunday, June 24, 2012

Be still, my words

Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

"Be Still, My Soul"
by Catharina von Schlegel, 1697-?
Translated by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897


We sang this beautiful hymn in church last night. The fifty or so people in attendance (mostly senior citizens by the way) gave it their all, but I gotta tell you it was lacking in “umph”. When we were at one of the Gaither Homecoming concerts a couple years ago, one of the performers sang it and it was so moving. Some people are so talented.

But God loves it when we sing praises to him, whether we are off key or not. To Him, we are all talented.

(This started out way longer, but I thought I was starting to ramble, so I cut it way back. Sometimes I think God wants me to keep it short and straight. On days like that, they are His words, not mine.)

No comments: