Thursday, June 28, 2012

Water and Fire

This past Sunday, my husband and I took a ride up north. I'll eventually sort out all of the pictures I took, but  in light of current events, I thought I could get all inspired by this picture.

Driving through the little town of Glidden, population 507, we noticed that the Chippewa River which flows right through town, had overrun its banks. Someone had stuck this measuring stick in the middle of the city park to monitor the depth of the water. Sorry that I couldn't get a reading on that stick.

Glidden sits just over 100 miles southeast of Duluth, which you may have heard had flooded on June 20. No doubt, some of the flood waters had made their way down the Chippewa River to this little berg.

Much further south, the northern half of Florida has seen flooding from Tropical Storm Debby. So much water, everywhere, or so it would seem.

On the flip side there are the devastating wildfires in Colorado. Having lived in Douglas County, Colorado, back in the mid-80's, I visited Garden of the Gods, the Air Force Academy, Manitou Springs, and many other places being threatened by fire. Looking at some of the horrendous pictures on the internet, I can feel the heat and smell the smoke.

Seems like there should be a way to even out these extremes. But pretty much all we can do is fight back the best we can, and turn the rest over to God.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Chris: You nailed it on the head. Pictures of the fires are memorizing, the flooding is so sad, we can't help but look at the pictures & thank God for the men & women that put his/her life in danger to save our homes/pets.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks, Denise, for the comment.
It's amazing how it seems like everyone I know knows someone who is in Colorado. Such a small world, and we all need to stay in it together.