Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Lord is Our Shephed

Many years ago, a few of my co-workers started a Bible study on Tuesdays at seven a.m. at the clinic. People have come and gone from the group and we’ve lately been averaging anywhere from four to ten women each week. Only myself and two other women remain from the original group.

We’ve studied books of the Bible and read other books. And some mornings we never get to any book; we spend the hour in prayer or support of each other’s needs.

The book we are reading now is “The Power of God’s Names” by Tony Evans. The chapter the group just started is “Jehovah Rohi: The Lord is My Shepherd”.  I’ve struggled with a few of the chapters, but I think I got this one.

  The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.
(Psalm 23, New King James Version)
 I think a lot of us Christians have these verses from Scripture committed to memory. But don’t take them for granted; they are beautiful words which we need to take to heart.

I was going to break each verse down and give you my spin on it, but I don’t think that’s necessary. I don’t think I have anything else to add.


Lord, You are our shepherd, our guide, our protector, our provider. We would be hungry and cold and lost without you. We worship You, we praise You. We thank You. Amen

No comments: