Sunday, May 13, 2018

Not What I Deserve

 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 New International Version)
  
A week ago, I returned, safe and sound, from my fifth trip to Kenya. We hope to provide the financial support in the creation of a community center near the village of Ololaimutiek, so we needed to gather as much data as we could about the area and the people living there.

Wednesday, I had a follow-up appointment with my foot doctor. After tromping all over Africa and half of Europe (ok, a wee bit of an exaggeration, but it still felt like that much), I was sure she was going to yell at me. But, no, she gave me the green light, turned me loose, said to take it easy and not do anything stupid, but to start walking on that foot, do some simple exercises, get it strong again.

Then Friday I had an appointment at the dentist, where he was planning to replace fillings on two teeth and get two other teeth prepped for crowns. After he got all the old fillings out, he was like, these teeth don’t look so bad, I think we can just go with fillings on all of them. Really? Like save me a couple thousand dollars, as well as the hassle of going back to get those crowns glued in.  

So, I had a good week and am feeling especially blessed. But these triumphs are by far not something that I deserve. For all the work I am doing in Kenya and even whatever I do for others here in my hometown, it would never be enough to buy my way into heaven. You may all think I am perfect, but my list of sins is as long as an elephant’s trunk. And that’s not why I do what I do anyway.

I try to do good because I am a child of God.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for all the countless gifts you bestow upon me, gifts which I do not deserve. Forgive all of my sins. And bless those who are struggling right now, show them Your Love and offer them the free gift of salvation. In Jesus name, Amen. 
Some of the children and women from the village we hope to help. You can make your tax deduct donation to this cause by going to our website, by clicking here. 
Also watch for upcoming blog posts where I will tell you more about it. 

No comments: