Friday, June 1, 2018

Finding Peace Among the Chaos

Accept my apologies for not posting a blog on Wednesday. It has been – umm – another one of those weeks. I wasn’t going to write today either, but here I am on my day off, way behind on my sleep, but wide awake at 5:30. My mind running around in every different direction.

Last weekend the temperature was unseasonably warm, almost unbearably so. Well into the nineties with our typical high humidity. Sunday I was downtown from seven a.m. until almost four, doing a craft show for our non-profit. We had a tent, so I was thankfully in the shade, and even though I drank as much water as I could stomach, I think I still got somewhat dehydrated. I was completely wiped out by the time I got home.
Then the kids came over for a cookout, which was so nice, but I was about falling asleep on them. Went to bed by 7:30, I think.

Monday, Memorial Day, I cleaned the whole house and planted the garden, in the unrelenting heat. I was once again exhausted by the end of the day and aching all over.  

Of course, Tuesday at work, thanks to the holiday, felt like two days rolled into one. Hmm? But most days feel like that for me.

But on the bright side, yesterday, they installed actual high-speed internet in our house. I was skeptical that it would be remarkably faster, but it is true. We went from three whatever measurement they use (gigs or bytes or something) up to forty-five. That’s a very big jump. And by the way, for only an extra $5 a month, and I think a $10 installation fee.

The other big news is that today is Hubby’s last day at work. He’s retiring from the state of Wisconsin after seven years. Someday, after the dust has settled, I’ll write about those years, all the challenges Hubby faced, the heartbreak and the glimmers of hope. But for now, I just wish him peace. In the fall he will begin another installment of his life – returning to driving school bus – but for the summer, I hope he gets lots of rest and finds the time to complete the honey-do list I am going to write for him today. (Shoot, I forgot to take a picture of him, heading off in his uniform for the last time!)

May you all have a peaceful weekend. 

No comments: