Friday, December 27, 2019

2019 Christmas Letter, Part 8

(Hoping that you all had a happy and healthy Christmas. New Year’s is right around the corner, which means this Letter only has a few more episodes left. Today’s episode, however, is a bit of a bummer.)
1983, at my other sister's wedding 
I mentioned back on Part 5, I believe, that my sister’s husband Claude was diagnosed with brain cancer in April. The doctors gave him 12 to 18 months if they attacked this thing aggressively with chemo and radiation. If not, they guessed six months. Claude decided not to chase it; if it couldn’t be knocked out completely, what would be the point in just buying himself more time, time spent running back and forth to doctor’s appointments.
With my husband, at my brother's picnic in 2011
On July 27, they drove up to our house, and Hubby and I took them for a ride around some lakes up north. Claude seemed pretty good, more quiet than usual and a little unsteady on his feet, even more thin than he had always been.
We had some laughs, though, and my sister got to see some loons. It was a good day.
Just three weeks later, my sister called to say he was going downhill fast and hospice was only giving him a few more days. I thought, what? He’d seem so good the last time I’d seen him. 

Hubby and I went down to see him. And my sister was right, it was getting close. And two days later she called to tell me that he had told her he loved her and then God called him home.
Their wedding in 1968
A few weeks after that, on a chilly, dreary day, she and I went for a ride up north, once again looking for loons. I think they may have all already gone south for the winter.



No comments: