Friday, July 10, 2020

Flashback Friday and 75 years

   This past Monday, the 6th, would have been my parents’ 75th wedding anniversary. So very hard to believe, isn’t it?

Dad was thirty. Mom had just turned 18 and just graduated from high school. 

He had been her school bus driver, and one night, he had heard her and the other girls talking about going to the basketball game. Mom couldn’t go because she lived so far from school. In fact, her’s was the last house on his route.

The story goes that he turned to her and said, “I have a horse.” I don’t know if she ever told me what exactly her response was to that, but in the end, she always said that when they got to her stop, she ran in and asked her pa if she could go to the game. When he said he supposed so, she got back on the bus and rode back to school with Dad.

The rest, they say, is history. 
Their wedding portrait from July 6, 1945
Don't know what year this was, but Mom always said this was her favorite picture of them. 

Certainly, Mom's least favorite picture. She will kill me when I next meet up with her in heaven.
Oh, yea, I'll already be dead. 
One of my favorite pictures of them. At my first wedding in 1985. Dad had pulled one of his usual goof-ball moves - I can't remember what - and Mom started cracking up. (Maybe he said, "I have a horse.")


No comments: