Wednesday, August 5, 2020

2020 Camping Post #2 – A Day of Towns, Waterfalls and Closed Places

 It already seems like our July vacation was so long ago. I’m glad that I take so many pictures on every trip as sometimes it’s the only thing that helps me remember. That and of course my camping log.   
               It was a strange trip though, with the pandemic going on, everyone wearing masks and most museums and other tourist spots closed. We gave it our best shot though.
               Tuesday, our first full day, we first headed out to Horserace Rapids, fifteen miles south-east of where we were camping. Very cool place, lots of rocks to climb on, and amazing views of the Paint River with cliffs on the opposite side. One of those places where I smack myself on the head wondering why I’ve never been here before.               



                From there, we drove twelve miles south, back into Wisconsin, to the tiny town of Florence. We drove around that little town WAY too many times. I thought there were so many cool buildings. And even a phone booth. Do kids even know what that is anymore?
               




               We drove back into Michigan to Iron Mountain, where I took pictures of the train depot, the Dickinson County Courthouse, and the WWII Glider & Military Museum and Cornish Pump & Mining Museum, which I already knew was closed, but I still wanted to take pictures of the outside.
               


               Next was the Jake Menghini Historical Museum, outside of Norway, again for just pictures of the outside. At least, with everything closed, it turned out to be an inexpensive vacation.               

               We continued on US 2 through Vulcan, where we turned around at the Vulcan Mine, which guess what? Was also closed.               
        
           
                When we drove back through Norway, we stopped at a historical monument for the Norway Spring. In 1903, it was caused by a hole drilled by the Oliver Mining Company in their search for iron ore.
               And the Viking ship welcoming all to the city of Norway.
               
               Finally, we stopped at the Fumee Creek Roadside Park, in honor of Brenda O’Brien. I always wonder who these people were that have parks dedicated to them.
               Anyway, the waterfalls over the creek was very pretty, despite the people who were there, one in particular, a woman with a large 35 mm on a tripod who tried, kindly, to tell me where to get the best view of the falls. I wanted to say, I’ve been viewing waterfalls for 40 years, I think I got this, but thanks.              

         The main falls is easily seen from the parking lot, as well as the bridge crossing the Fumee Creek, but the best spot is up the few dozen stairs to the upper falls, which though not nearly as high, I thought, was much more delightful. Until four people joined me, at which point, I had to scamper back down the stairs.       

                 That was about the time when the sky decided it had had enough of just being gloomy and began to release its rain. As I was writing this, I was thinking I should share a screenshot from Google maps detailing our entire route. I decided, nah, let you figure it out for yourself.  

No comments: