Sunday, August 16, 2020

To Live or Die


 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. Romans 14:8 (New International Version)

When I sat down to write this post, and checked Bible Gateway website to start looking for a verse, this was the one that came up as the verse of the day.

Just before that, Hubby and I were talking about life and death. As believers, we know where we’re going when we die and we know we have nothing to fear. And with the same faith, we get through each day that we live.

But what about the in-between. You know what I mean. Where someone is suffering and dying. Or just suffering so much with whatever kind of malady that they wish they would die.

When I had my kidney stone a couple weeks ago, I was in so much pain I wasn’t sure if I was more among the living or the dead. We’ve all had that kind of pain, if not physically, certainly mentally or emotionally, when we don't think we can handle what we’ve been dealt.

Just like most of you, I’ve had a lot on my mind lately. And no, I’m not afraid of getting COIVD19 and dying. But if I were to get it and get it bad, I rather not end up on a ventilator. I work in health care so I know how incredibly not-fun that would be.

My greatest concern, though, is for all the people who are not believers. Who think that living life is all there is and you just die when you die. Or you go someplace else that’s an ok place to be. Or maybe get reincarnated. For me, none of those options make any sense and my heart cries for those people.

There are so many things going on in the world right now. I know that if you look back at history, things have been worse in the past. The pandemic of 1918-1919 which was at the same time as World War I. The Great Depression, World War II and the holocaust. Years and decades of famine in foreign countries. Earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires. But a person has to wonder how much longer this will go on.

But no matter what happens, me and my house will serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15). I need not fear, as God is with me, He will strengthen me and help me and hold me with His right hand (Isaiah 41:10). I will be strong and courageous; I will not be afraid or discouraged, because my Lord and God is with me wherever I go (Joshua 1:9).

I pray the same is true for you.

2 comments:

Empty nester at last said...

Amen! I too pray for those that don't believe. Friends and family...my husband is already in heaven with the Lord. I am looking forward to seeing him again. He died way to early in life.

Keep up the good work, We are all in this together, and I don't see an end in sight any time soon.

God bless!

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks for the comment. God bless you too.