Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Aghast at Agate Falls – blog post #8 from the family vacation

               I may finally be to the point of showing you pictures of the last waterfall we visited on our family vacation the end of September.

               Almost from the moment we arrived at the cabin Friday afternoon, my son-in-law had a certain waterfall in the UP in his head. He kept saying it was located much farther north, almost to Lake Superior. He described it in detail, but I knew there was no such falls near the place he was thinking of.

               It finally dawned on my son and me that he had to be talking about Agate Falls on the middle branch of the Ontonagon River, seven miles southeast of Bruce Crossing, Michigan, along Hwy 28.  

               Yup, we got there and my son-in-law took off down the trail. The trail which led down, well, actually to nowhere, because it ended. The kids scampered down the ravine, and I pretty much just slid down, wondering all the time how I would get back up it. 

 
It was worth it though.
The dogs got to go for a swim too. 


Then there was the climb back up. 

My son-in-law and daughter waited patiently for me. My son took some pictures of me, but they are pretty embarrassing. 

Then we kept climbing, to the train trestle turned snowmobile/ATV trail. 

What a view from the bridge!
I figure God must shower us with color in the fall because He knows that grey and white are all we'll soon see outside. 

The bridge on Hwy 28 heading to Bruce Crossing. 

Yup, another spectacular waterfall on a cold and dreary day, which didn't slow us down.

No comments: