Friday, December 4, 2020

That Time of Year to Reach Out

I’ve been thinking all week that I should post the first segment of my Christmas letter here today. Last year, it dawned on me that instead of sending out the annual Christmas letter in my Christmas cards, that I could just post it here instead. In segments, so I can share even more of this year’s events without trying to edit it down to one page, plus pictures (which can be a pain to fit into that one piece of paper).

Of course, pretty much all of 2020 was consumed by the coronavirus and pandemic. With that in mind, I’m going to open this first part of the letter with the events of this week.

I woke up Wednesday morning really hoarse with some head congestion. Not too bad, but was feeling pretty run down by the time I got to work. As long as I kept working, I did okay, powering through I guess, but so tired when I sat down for a minute.  

I texted the provider I see, who thought that I should get tested. At the clinic where I work, we’ve been given the option to get tested at any time for any reason, mostly because our chances of exposure are so much higher. I had the rapid test done around 9:30.

When the gal did it, she said they just started using new test kits, which neither one of us thought much of. After shoving the swab up my nose and practically into my brain and holding it for what felt like 90 minutes, she pulled the swab out, broke it off (which she had always done with the old kits), and stuck it in the test tube.

Lab called back a few minutes later to say that you aren’t supposed to break the swab off in these new kits, that the patient would have to be re-swabbed. Well, that’s the kind of luck I have.  

So, back in the testing room I go for a shot up my other nostril. Half hour or so later, it came back presumptive negative. Which means, this particular test came back negative, but the rapid tests have a high percentage of false negatives. Another text to my provider, who said that I should have the more reliable test.

So, back in the testing room again, to have a swab shoved up my nose for a third time. (Too bad I don’t have three nostrils instead of just the two). This other test, known as the PCR, is supposedly the “gold standard” in testing, but it can take three to five days to get the results. However, for certain professionals – those in health care (me), as well as, I found out that day, firefighters, police and other front-line people – the results are fast-tracked to come back in 24 to 48 hours. So that those of us labeled “critical infrastructure workers (as opposed to “essential workers”) can get back to work as soon as possible.  

When I got home that night, I crawled into my jammies and into bed. So cold and so tired. After half an hour, I rallied to get up for supper and didn’t feel too bad the rest of the night.

I woke up Thursday morning feeling totally fine. Hmm? Can a person have the 24-hour COVID?

As I was getting ready for work, wondering if I should go to work, I got a text message from my provider that the PCR test had come back negative. Yeah! (Oh, and also, I didn’t have any patient contact while I was waiting for my results, in case you think I ran the risk of infecting some frail little old lady.)

Of course, that doesn’t rule it out entirely, as I might have been tested too early in the infection. It takes two to three days after an exposure for your body to produce the stuff that they test for. The thing is that I hadn’t had any exposure to anyone but my masked co-workers and Hubby for several days.

Who knows. I could go into the long explanation of when the CDC is telling us to quarantine and when to be set free, when to be tested and when not to. But you can figure that out yourselves. Or not. Coz it’s so complicated that it makes my head spin.

I just hope that all of you are staying safe, wearing your masks, not taking risks. That your loved ones are able to stay in touch without touching. Chris


 Check back next Friday for the actual start of this year’s Christmas letter. 

No comments: